Last modified: October 9, 2023
Defined.AI respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. Your privacy is important to us. Please, read this policy carefully to understand how we will collect and use your information, and what choices you have with respect to your information.
What information about You do We collect, and how do We do it?
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information, where applicable:
- Data provided by You directly: You provide some of this data directly as you use the Defined.ai Website, products, services, and applications, fill out a custom/contact request or subscribe to our newsletter.
- Usage data collected automatically: We also get some information by processing how you use the Defined.ai products by, for example, using technologies like cookies and other similar tracking tools.
- Job Applicants: When visiting the careers portion of our Website, we collect the information that you provide to us in connection with your job application. This includes business and personal contact information, professional credentials and skills, educational and work history, and other information that may be included in a resume. This may also include diverse information that you voluntarily provide. We use this information to facilitate our recruitment activities.
- Third parties: We may obtain data from third parties to whom you've provided your information, and you've given your consent to be transferred to us. These third-party sources may include: data brokers from which we purchase data to supplement the data we collect; service providers/partners that help us provide certain products.
The data we collect depends on the consent you've provided and on the context of your interactions with Defined.ai, the choices you make, including your privacy settings, and the products you use. The data we collect can include the following categories:
- Identity data: this includes data that directly identifies an individual, such as your first and last name;
- Contact data: this includes the email address, business e-mail and country;
- Professional data: company and job role;
- Usage details: We collect data about your device and how you and your device interact with Defined.ai and our products, such as IP addresses, cookies, other tracking technologies, location data, logs, and other communication data;
- Content: We also collect information you provide to us when you contact us about the products and the content of messages you send to us, such as questions and information you provide for customer support.
2. Why do We collect Your data?
- to present our Website and its contents to you;
- to provide, maintain, and improve the products, or services that you request from us;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it, such as a contact form;
- to provide you with notices about your account and applications (e.g., job application);
- to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- to comply with legal obligations;
- to perform our duties towards our customers;
- to notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide through it (e.g., marketing purposes, sending newsletters, targeted advertising);
- to allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website;
- to conduct analytics;
- to provide customer support;
- to analyze Defined.ai business;
- for any other purpose with your consent.
3. What are Your rights regarding the information collected and processed?
Concerning your information that is collected and/or processed by Defined.ai, you may exercise the following rights:
- Right of access: You may request Defined.ai to confirm if information about you is processed. If such is the case, you will receive access to your information.
- Right of rectification: If our information about you is incorrect, you may request Defined.ai to rectify your information. This includes the right to have incomplete information completed, taking into account the purpose of the processing.
- Right to erasure: You may request Defined.ai to erase your information, for instance, if the information is unlawfully processed or if you have withdrawn your consent.
- Right to object: You may request Defined.ai to object to the processing of your personal data when the processing is based on legitimate interests, public interest, or the exercise of official authority. Additionally, You have the right to object to direct marketing activities, including profiling for marketing purposes.
- Right to restrict processing: You may request Defined.ai to restrict the processing of your information if (i) the information is inaccurate, (ii) the processing is unlawful, (iii) you need us to retain the information after the retention period for a legal claim, or (iv) you have objected to the processing and verification of our legitimate interests is pending.
- Right to data portability: You may request Defined.ai to provide you with an electronic file of your information or transfer your personal data to a third party if such is technically feasible.
- Right to lodge a complaint: Ultimately, you may lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority.
3.1 How to exercise Your rights?
To exercise any of the above rights, please submit a verifiable Consumer Privacy Request to Defined.ai: by email at [email protected].
We will respond to your requests without undue delay but within one month. If permitted under applicable legislation, Defined.ai may extend the response period by two further months if such is necessary due to the complexity and number of requests.
3.2 Opt-Out and Unsubscribe of Marketing Messages (Newsletters)
Our marketing communications contain an easy way to avoid receiving future messages, such as a link through which you can unsubscribe. If you would like to opt out of receiving Defined.ai marketing messages, you may use the unsubscribe link contained in the messages you have received, or You can use the contacts mentioned above (section 3.1).
4. Who has access to Your information?
We may share your information with other companies to work with them, including subsidiaries and affiliates of the Defined.ai corporate group. For example, Defined.ai may need to share your information with other companies within the corporate family for customer support, marketing, technical operations, and account management purposes.
We may pass your information to our third-party service providers to complete tasks and provide services to you on our behalf. However, when we use third-party service providers, we disclose only the necessary personal information to deliver the service. We have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for prevention of fraud or other crime.
Defined.ai will disclose personal information where required by law or legal process, for the administration of justice, to protect your vital interest, for investigations by law enforcement or regulatory bodies, to protect and defend Defined.ai property and legal rights, to protect the personal safety of Defined.ai Website, or by order of a valid injunction from a court or law enforcement authorities. Unless described in this Policy, Defined.ai does not share, sell, rent, or trade any information with third parties for their promotional purposes.
5. Your choices
You have the choice as to whether you wish to receive information from us. If you want to receive direct marketing communications from us about the Services and any of our exciting products and services, you can select your choices by ticking the relevant boxes situated on the form on which we collect your information. We will not contact you for marketing purposes by e-mail or text message unless you have given your prior consent.
6. The security of Your personal data
Defined.ai is concerned with safeguarding your information. We employ appropriate and reasonable physical, technological, and administrative security measures. We take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely to prevent accidental loss, unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, for example, by encryption, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our Website, which means any transmission is at your own risk.
Our security measures are continually improved in line with technological developments. For instance, Defined.ai has been certified and attested to confirm compliance with ISO 27001 standards by independent auditors, which provides assurance of the security requirements implementation.
The safety and security of your information also depend on you. You are responsible for keeping your passwords and devices protected. Not locking your laptop or mobile device or using public assets to access our Website pose a risk. Therefore, we ask you to take all the necessary precautions to avoid security breaches.
7. How long do We keep Your personal data?
We retain your information for as long as necessary to provide you with the service, so that we can fulfill our contractual obligations and exercise our rights concerning the information involved. Where we do not need your information to provide the service to you, we retain it only for so long as we have a legitimate business purpose or legal obligation in retaining such data. In general, we will hold Your personal information based on the following criteria:
- Purpose of collection: personal data will only be retained for as long as necessary to fulfill the specific purpose for which it was collected. After achieving this objective, the data will be erased or anonymized;
- Legal basis: the legal basis for processing the data must be taken into account. In some cases, the law may require certain data to be retained for a specific period (e.g., for tax purposes or compliance with regulations);
- Contracts and obligations: if the data is necessary for the performance of a contract or agreement between You and Defined.ai, the retention period may be determined by that contractual period;
- Legal prescription periods: in some situations, personal data may be retained for a period defined by specific laws, such as prescription periods for legal actions;
- Defined.ai legitimate interests: this interest must be balanced with the rights and interests of the data subject before determining the retention period;
- Consent: if the processing of data is based on Your consent, Defined.ai shall ensure that the data is retained only for the period authorized by the consent and that this consent is renewed when necessary.
We will regularly review our retention periods for personal information to ensure data quality and keep data up to date and accurate.
9. Links to other websites
10. Children Under the Age of 18
Our Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age, as stated in our Terms & Conditions. No one under the age of 18 may provide any personal information to the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If you are under 18, please do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features/register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide us any information about yourself, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or username you may use. If we have knowledge that we have collected or received personal information from a child under the age of 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 18, please contact us at [email protected].
11. Transferring Your information
We are a global group of companies. We may transfer information that we collect about you to affiliated entities or other third parties across borders and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions worldwide.
We ensure there are adequate safeguards in place when transferring your data outside your country and the EU, including by relying on the applicable Standard Contractual Clauses or other lawful mechanisms or otherwise that the transfer only occurs where permitted by applicable law (e.g., adequacy decision), intending to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected as outlined in this Policy.
13. Contact information
You can contact our Data Protection Officer through [email protected] for all personal data matters.
Current as of October, 2023.
Please note that this Policy is not applicable to third party websites that can be accessed via hyperlinks provided on the website. In addition, this Policy does not regulate data processing carried out by third parties when they obtain data through Cookies installed on the website. Such processing operations will be the responsibility of the third parties which collect them.
You may, at any time, configure your preferences regarding the Cookies used on the website, through the tool provided for managing Cookies.
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small information files, usually in .html format, stored by a website on your equipment (computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.). This Policy regulates all Cookies and other technological forms of user tracking, such as tags, pixel tags, web beacons, user IDs or other technological forms that may be developed (together referred to as "Cookies").
Each time you visit the Website, your browser allows access to Cookies installed on your device, making it possible to recognize and memorize the identifier associated with the User (where applicable), as well as to immediately activate your usage preferences. The Website only installs Cookies on your device with your express consent, except in the case of Cookies that are strictly necessary for the operation of the Website.
What are Cookies for?
Cookies may be used to ensure the operation of certain essential features of the website, to increase its efficiency and to allow Defined.ai to collect information and preferences of Users. Cookies also serve to show advertising that is more relevant to the interest of the User according to historical information and Cookies already collected.
The website uses several categories of Cookies, each category corresponding to different purposes:
- Necessary Cookies - Cookies of a technical nature that allow the User to navigate the website, enabling basic functions such as page navigation and access to secure areas of the pages and enabling the management and operation of the website. For these Cookies consent is not collected because the website or services cannot function properly without them.
- Functional Cookies - Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.
- Analytics Cookies - Cookies that allow monitoring and analysis of user behavior on Defined.ai’s website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
- Performance Cookies - Cookies used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
- Advertisement Cookies - Cookies that allow to know the User's browsing habits and show them advertisement related to their browsing profile, effectively managing advertising spaces. Their purpose is to display relevant ads, adapting the content to the User.
You will find more detailed information about the Cookies we use and their functionality, including who places them, how they work, their purpose, duration, and how they share data with third-parties in the Cookie Management Tool.
Who do the Cookies belong to?
Each Cookie has a domain name associated with it, and can be classified, as far as its origin is concerned, by the following categories:
- First party Cookies: Cookies managed and stored by Defined.ai domains.
- Third-party Cookies: Cookies managed and stored by entities that have content or systems integrated into the Defined.ai’s website. In these cases, the third-party entity may process data collected through Cookies and Defined.ai may not have the ability to configure its operation.
You can find more detailed information regarding the Cookies we use and the third-party Cookies we use at the link provided in the previous point.
In terms of duration, Cookies can be classified as:
- Session Cookies: these are stored until the end of the session or shortly thereafter when the browser or application used to access the website closes;
- Persistent Cookies: stored for longer periods, requiring action by the User in order to delete these cookies. Defined.ai does not store Cookies with a duration exceeding 2 years.
How is User consent collected?
Defined.ai uses the following tool for the management of Cookie’ consent of Users who visit Defined.ai’s website. This consent is requested at the time of visiting the website.
Through the Cookie management toolc the User has the possibility to:
- “Accept All” types of Cookies;
- Accept by typology/purpose of Cookies according to User’s “Preferences”.
Alternatively, most Internet browsers also make it possible to control Cookies by managing their settings, allowing Users to view the Cookies hosted, as well as to delete them immediately. The User can also change their browser settings to block the installation of new Cookies or to be notified each time a Cookie is placed on their device.
- For more information about the "Private Browsing" function and Cookie management in Google Chrome browser, click here;
- For more information about the "Private Browsing" function and Cookie management in Microsoft Edge browser, click here;
- For more information about the "Private Browsing" function and Cookie management in Mozilla Firefox browser, click here;
- For more information about the "Private Browsing" function and Cookie management in Internet Explorer browser, click here;
- For more information about the "Private Browsing" function and Cookie management in the Opera browser, click here;
- For more information about "Private Browsing" function and managing Cookies in the Safari browser, click here.
The User should be aware that disabling Cookies through their browser settings may have an impact on the operation of the website, as most browsers do not offer a settings panel with sufficient detail to allow you to turn away only Cookies that are not strictly necessary to ensure the essential functions of the websites you visit. On equipment offering this type of functionality, the User may be able to obtain greater control over the Cookies that are installed by means of free extensions available online.
Changes to Cookies Policy
Defined.ai may change this Cookies Policy at any time. Such changes will be appropriately publicized through the pages of the website and, if they involve a substantial change in how the User's data will be handled, Defined.ai will notify users of such changes through the contact details it has made available to you.
However, whenever changes relevant to the User are made with respect to Cookies, the User will see the Cookies management tool again so that, depending on the type of Cookie in question, the User can access the information and/or consent to its use and storage.